TV & Film Magazine
Update: July 17, 2007

Thanks for visiting this site, but it is no longer being updated. I've moved on over to http://www.mediapundit.net/ and I invite you to join me over there from now on. Thanks for your understanding.

Writing in circles.


  -  Digg!Submit to NetscapeBookmark at del.icio.usreddit

I have forty pages written for a spec script called Remnants, and the big finish for the fourth act has yet to be written, yet I've nearly written an hours worth of material. As one can tell, I have a problem.

One hour dramas (SciFi specs fit the mold) only run about 48 pages total. What it boils down to is I have at least 11 pages worth of material I need to delete in order to fit in the story's end, while still maintaining the three existing act breaks.

|---|-----------|-----------|-----------|----------|

The first group represents the 2-4 page teaser, and each of the following four groups represent the four acts.
|---|---------BB|---------BB|---------BB|--------BB|

The double B's above represent where the act breaks are, essentially the last few pages of each act right before the commercial breaks, usually a miniature cliffhanger. The dilemma I have right now is there are 4-6 pages in the first act that aren't essential to the story. If I delete them outright, I have to replace them, or the act breaks will not line up anymore.
|---|------BB|-----BB----|-----BB----|-------BB??|

With pages missing from the first act, you can see all the act breaks now come far too soon, and the first act is too short. The only real options are to replace the deleted pages, or rewrite all subsequent acts so the act breaks come later than they did originally.

I thought perhaps that if I broke the script down into one line descriptions for each scene/group of joined scenes, I could better see what I didn't need to trim it's overall size, and shuffle them around to patch in the gaps I'd be creating in the process. It worked insofar as showing me the insignificant (though much loved) bloat that I could safely remove without effecting the story too badly. Unfortunately, I seem to write in too linear a fashion, and there isn't really anything that could be moved to another place without creating continuity errors.

I'm sure experience will help in stopping these situations from happening in the future, because it's a royal pain.
Like this post? Subscribe to RSS, or get daily emails:

Got something to say? Post a Comment. Got a question or a tip? Send it to me. If all else fails, you can return to the home page.


Recent Posts
Subscribe to RSS Feed Add to Google
Add to Technorati Favorites
Add to Bloglines
Archives
Links
Powered by Blogger
Entertainment Blogs - Blog Top Sites

The text of this article is Copyright © 2006,2007 Paul William Tenny. All rights reserved. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. Attribution by: full name and original URL. Comments are copyrighted by their authors and are not subject to the Creative Commons license of the article itself.